Friday, March 29, 2013

The View From the Back - of the Church

As we began the Easter Triduum last night, I once again found myself standing in the back to the church with a baby.  It struck me last night that in 15.5 years of parenting I have spent more Sundays and Holy Days at the back of the church rocking a baby than I have probably spent sitting in the pew.  This is especially true for the Easter Triduum where Mass starts at bedtime.  In the past 7 years I have spent every Triduum in the back for a portion or all of the evening.

Every year I am struck, especially on Holy Thursday, how beautiful the church looks from the back.  I look over the congregation to the front of the church where the sanctuary is filled with alter servers, flowers and priests.  I stand, undisturbed as I rock, a hopefully sleeping baby, and can focus on the beauty of the sanctuary, the music, the readings and the homily.  All from this unique perspective.

Last night, as I realized just how many Triduum's I have spent in the back, I realized that I no longer view it as a dreaded place to be, but instead a place to stand and take it all in, from a different perspective.  And I know some day my time at the back will come to an end as my babies grow and no longer need to be rocked.  This season in my life will be done. I realized that I will miss the view from the back and I hope I remember just how amazing and special this view has been.

So tomorrow night at the Easter Vigil, I will once again find myself in the back rocking and walking a baby as they sleep and I will cherish my view - From the Back of the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment